Our Green Commitment
The Earth is a finite resource and large chunks of it are being gobbled up rather quickly. So we feel we have a duty to make Chalet Chocolat as green and environmentally responsible as we can. To help reduce our impact, we have focused our efforts in these main areas:
Construction and Design
- 3 x the regular amount of insulation in the walls, roof and floors.
- Low-emission glass windows.
- Solar gain: the chalet captures sunlight during the winter.
- Retains solar gain at night with closure of solid wooden shutters.
- Overlapping roof detail, prevents direct sunlight entering the chalet, keeping it cool in summer.
- Materials sourced as locally as possible to reduce carbon footprint.
- Water efficient Hansgrohe showers.
- AAA+ electric clothes dryer.
- High-efficiency wood-burning stove with masonry thermal store.
- All appliances the most efficient model at the time of purchase.
- State of the art hot tub most insulated model on the market at the time of purchase.
- Solid wooden and stone floors.
- Jute carpeting.
- Super-efficient heating systems.
- Electric green energy plan.
- Recycling actively encouraged-provision for paper, plastic, tin and in the village centre.
- Natural interior paints.
- Natural floor oils and waxes.
- No pesticides used
- Bird boxes throughout garden
- Mason bee box to encourage pollination
- Native alpine plant species only to encourage wildlife and butterflies
- Longer term plans: to introduce a comprehensive solar hot water system.